Friday, June 18, 2010

On Beer: #3 Twisted Thistle IPA

While not yet "hot and sunny", the weather has turned warmer and the sun is trying to break through the clouds. Perfect day to, put down Red Dead Redemption, get a little housework done followed by something cool to drink. Can anyone tell my wife helped me with today's plans? Anyways, after vacuuming, tidying and all the good stuff I should have been doing all week (never do today what you can put off till tomorrow I always say), I chose to refresh my self with a new IPA I haven't tried before Twisted Thistle IPA.

For those of you who do not know what an IPA is, it stands for India Pale Ale. The origin of the name, obviously, has to do with India, but I used to think this was because they were made, at least initially, in India. The truth is they gained this name as the beer was brewed in England and fermented (or at least benefited greatly) from the long sea voyage between England and India. Coupled with the fact this is a hoppy, pale colored ale beer, that was where the name came from. Enough of this education, how was the beer?

Overall - Made doing the housework worthwhile.
Look - A slightly cloudy, orange color with a nice clean white head. A bit darker than most IPAs with some floaties, but don't be put off.
Aroma - Plenty of hops and a citrus aroma.
Taste - Some hints of caramel and bread from the malt, but nicely dominated by a strong hoppiness. Finishes well.
Purchase - Sold as single bottles in larger liquor stores. Cost about $4 per bottle. Smaller brewery may make them scarce.

Summation - Very tasty and one of the best IPAs I've had in some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment