Thursday, June 3, 2010

I come to tell you of bacon.

I was in the mood for a nice BLT. For me, a BLT is 5 ingredients: good bread, fresh lettuce, firm tomato, mayo and bacon. Good bacon. I realize you can use any old bacon as bacon is pretty versatile. If bacon is a flavor in my food, I am less picky, but when it is the feature item, like in a BLT, then I want to get the good stuff.

For me, there is no better bacon available here in Edmonton than Irving Farm Fresh Bacon.


This is quite simply, the best bacon I have ever had anywhere. Irvings does not smoke the bacon. Instead they use curing salts and dry cure the bacon for a period of days. There is no water used in the process, so the bacon comes out lean, and cooks quickly (1 minute per side at most) without much fat or water spatter. It comes out like a delicious sliced porkchop and makes for excellent bacon based food.

BLT Recipe (Yes, simple, but good)
2 pieces of frozen fresh bread
2 pieces of bacon per sandwich
1 good lettuce leaf
2-3 slices of tomato
schmear of mayo

Cook bacon, about 1 minute per side
Wash and slice tomatoes.
Peel off a few lettuce leaves and wash them. Pat them dry (prevents soggy toast).
Toast the bread while it is still frozen. Trust me, this really makes it better no matter how crazy it sounds.
Then, in order, layer toast, schmear of mayo, tomato, lettuce, bacon, toast. I find that keeping the bacon and tomato nearest the bread allows the toast to soak up any spare deliciousness.



You can buy Irving's Farm bacon at Careit Urban Deli in the Callingwood district. It may be a bit of a drive (depending on where you live), but the bacon is great and Careit has loads of other great deli items and pre-made foods. If you know any other locations, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Irving Farms is definitely on top. Great owners as well!

    ReplyDelete