Thursday, June 3, 2010

On Beer. #1 Duchy Originals Organic Beer

So I like beer. I didn't always as during my teenage.. er.. post teenage years, the guys I hung out with drank Molson Canadian or Coors Silver Bullet. I generally thought that beer was sour tasting and, aside from the buzz, rather silly when there were better, tastier things to drink.

As I grew older, I came to realize that not all beer is created equally. There are all different sorts of beers like ales, pilsners, porters, lagers, stouts and many more all depending on how they are brewed, where they are brewed, what they are brewed from, how long and much more that only a trained brewmaster would actually be able to explain. What this means to me is that there is a host of hundreds and hundreds of beers to try. Now, to paraphrase a TV commercial, I do not always drink beer, but when I do, it better be good. As part of the blog, when I try something new, I'll post about it here.

Duchy Originals Organic Beer

So this is Prince Charles' beer. By that, I mean that he created Duchy Originals back in 1990 to promote Organic farming in England. They make many different products, this is one of their beers.

Overall - If it is good enough for royalty, it's good enough for me.
Look - As you can tell from the picture this pours as an orange/amber color that is medium cloudy with light bubbling and a fair white head.
Aroma - Not overly strong smelling and comes off mildly hoppy with fair citrus notes and a hint of malt.
Taste - Good. Mildly carbonated, so not too many bubbles. Tastes of a good ale with some caramel malt hints and lightly citrus at the end.
Purchase - Sold in bottles found at my local Sobey's liquor store, but not a mainstream beer.

Summation - I'd have this again and would recommend it to friends looking for a lighter ale.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious, I'll definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete