Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Pain of it All

I really had intended to update this blog at least once a day during my sabbatical,I really did. I bought a bunch of good (I hope) beer to drink and review, some fine chocolate, a few new video games and movies, etc. I was all prepared to do a little work around the house, relax and blog a bit here and there. Sadly, my back had ideas of its own.

I was winding down my evening Friday night and stood up out of my chair to go get a drink when I thought I had been shot or tazered on my right side just above the kidney area. For the first time in years, I actually screamed out in pain. My wife, who was downstairs, came running to see what was wrong and found me hunched over, gripping the edge of the chair and sweating profusely. I could not stand up straight. I couldn't sit back down. I couldn't take a step. Even with her help, I could barely get back into the chair as it was agony.

Now, in the past I have had kidney stones a few times and both my wife and I thought this might be what it was. I doubted it as I did not have the usual symptoms or discomfort with kidney stones like I've had in the past, but I had no other explanation for what it was. My wife went and got me a couple of extra-strength pain pills and I sat there hoping the pain would go away. Well, after an hour or two, where any slight movement would again send pain arcing up my back, I chose to go to the emergency room at a local hospital. It took a long time to get my shoes and coat on and to drive as every moment hurt, but my wife doesn't drive and I wasn't willing to call for an ambulance.

I will spare you the minute by minute 6 hour wait to see a doctor. Canada has a great health care system, but it means waiting rooms can get full. I checked in (they test you to make sure your heart is ok and not a danger or issue), left a urine sample and waited till I saw the doctor. As dawn started to appear overhead, I finally got to see a doctor. He was pleasant enough, but obviously so busy he didn't have time to chat. He examined my side, asked me a few questions and said that since the urine sample I had left was fine, he believed I was having a "simple" back spasm, likely in my erector spinae muscle, which is one of the muscles that keeps your spine in place and straight. He said that there wasn't much that could be done, so he gave me some very strong prescription painkillers and sent me home.

For the first 2 days, I didn't even try to go downstairs. I took my pills, stayed in bed, read and occasionally very slowly, I shuffled my way to the PC. My wife has been great through the whole thing, bringing me food, sleeping in the spare bed, and putting up with my whining. If you are even thinking of getting married, I strongly suggest the "in sickness and in health" part should be in your vows someplace.

It is now Wednesday night. I had to miss out on taking a first-aid course at work (which I wanted to do and was willing to give up 2 sabbatical days to be a part of), I couldn't have any of the beers I had bought (no alcohol with the painkillers I was given) and generally let things go around here. Well, I'm still not 100% and I am doing things a little gingerly to make sure I don't re-aggravate my back, but hopefully, this is the end of things and I can get back on track.

Get it? Back on track? See, my sense of humor has returned. Everything is normal again. Tomorrow, beer. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment